Tata Building India School Essay Competition
|Tweet Pin It Share|
Areas of Study :
Topic on Nation Building
Scholarship Funded by :
Tata group of companies
Provided to :
Indian Students of classes 6-12
Tata Building India School Essay Competition is India's largest school essay writing competition organised by Tata group of companies to motivate and nurture young minds across India. The essay competition provides a unique platform to encourage young leaders of tomorrow to showcase their expressions in writing, on a host of subjects related to nation building. Started in 2006, this national level contest is conducted annually in different languages across the cities of India. The idea of the competition has been very well received by both the students and the teaching fraternity reflected by the overwhelming response from participating schools and students. The competition would be conducted across 180 cities, 7000+ schools and will cover approximately 3.5 million students.
Structure of Essay Competition
The essay competition is a two-phase activity across all the participating schools in the country for students of classes 6-12. The first phase consists of exposing these young minds to inspirational Tata-linked films which stimulate them to think about the nation. Following this, students are asked few questions based on the films shown.
To ensure a level playing field, the students are divided into 2 participating categories across all languages.
- Junior level for classes 6-8 and
- Senior level for classes 9-12
Each year a different topic on the theme of nation-building is selected and participants are required to submit an essay between 500-600 words. The underlying theme of the topic is always nation building. The topics are carefully chosen for students to be creative, insightful and genuine.
Rewards and Recognition
The winners are rewarded at each level, the school level winners are amplified at school and special functions are held to felicitate city level winners at regional level. The national level winners are felicitated in Delhi.
Prizes at the school level include certificates, medals and special Tata Building India merchandise. The city winners and the runners-up receive gifts like Digicam / Handycam / MP3 player, Certificates and trophies. The national level winners receive laptops as the grand prize.
How to Participate in Tata Building India School Essay Competition
- Tata Building India School Essay Competition is open to all schools in a particular city where this competition is being conducted.
To check the cities coverage log on to www.tatabuildingindia.com
- Students cannot participate on their own in this competition. Only schools can participate. Request for participation can be made at the official website.
- The English/ Hindi/ regional language version competition will be only conducted in schools where the medium of instruction is necessarily English/ Hindi/ regional language respectively
- There is no entry fee
- A student can participate only once from his own school. Valid Identification & contact details has to be produced in case of a request from the organizers
- The Competition (film screening & essay writing) has to be conducted only in the school during the schedule timings. Entries can be disqualified for not following the given procedure
- The essay topics are different for each year. Entry will be considered valid only if the essay is written on the given topic
- The organizers retain the right to make any changes to the event, its format, date, rules and in any matter related to this event without any prior notice
- Entry to the competition for schools is by invitation only and organizers reserve the right to accept or reject any application to registration and / or entry to the proceedings
- By entering the competition, the participants & attendees permit themselves to be photographed/ recorded by electronic, online and print media for telecast, publications & contacted by their given email ids and other display usage of the organizers
- All national/state level winners will be provided stay and return travel for the national award ceremony only from the city of victory i.e. their city of participation
- Organizers will arrange for the prize distribution for winners & runners up through their event management agency. Any loss of prizes during transit or due to any other reason would not be organizer's responsibility & hence wouldn't be liable for replacement
- Once you participate in the competition you indicate your acceptance for the format, prizes & decisions including judging of essays on school, city & national level which will final and binding
- All decision taken by the organizers will be final & binding on all issues related to Tata Building India School Essay Competition
The essays of the students are screened at 3 levels: School level, City level and National level. The essays are judged on the parameters of relevance to the topic, structure, creativity and communication of the idea.
Further, one-time, need-based special Tata Building India Scholarships will be awarded to a few students from each city based on defined criteria and other terms and conditions.
- School Level
Essays at the school level are short listed by the identified judges within the school, the school level winners are identified in both categories
- City Level
The essays of the school level winners across the schools from each city are collected and evaluated by a panel of 3 judges from the academic and the journalism fields, two winners in each category are short listed for city level recognition as winners from the respective cities.
- National Level
The city level winner's essays in both categories from each city are finally judged by an elite panel comprising of eminent people to choose the national winners. It would be of interest to note that the essay is written by the child only once and is evaluated at three levels.
Phone : 022-66657891, 66657564
Email: Contact I
The Tata Group recognized the city level winners from the South Zone (Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Pondicherry) of the 5th annual ‘Tata Building India School Essay Competition - 2010-11', recently at The Russian centre of Science & Culture, Chennai. The winners were selected from a competitive pool of students through 15 city level competitions conducted in 4 cities for English and 13 for Tamil.
The English edition of the essay competition was held across Chennai, Coimbatore, Cochin and Trivandrum with 175 schools participating while the Tamil edition was held across Chennai, Kanchipuram, Vellore, Pondicherry, Trichy, Dindigul, Madurai, Tirunelvelli, Nagerkoil, Villupuram, Thiruvanamalai, Coimbatore and Salem with 425 schools participating, attracting a total of over 3.5 lakh students.
The awards ceremony was held at The Russian centre of Science & Culture in Chennai and the chief guest at the event, renowned academic. P. Aravindan- Vice Chancellor,
Dr. M.G.R. Educational & Research Institute, awarded trophies and gift certificates to the winners. The winning essays at the city level will be further judged by a prominent jury for national level recognition.
The theme for the 2010-11 edition of the essay competition was ‘Poverty reduction' . Speaking on the occasion, P. Aravindan, Vice Chancellor, Dr. M.G.R. Educational & Research Institute,said, “ This is a good platform for young students to hone their skills. This will go a long way in nurturing talent and assist them to become strong contenders to represent the country at international level. I urge more companies to take up this initiative. ”.
The competition is a unique initiative undertaken by the Tata group of companies to motivate the youth towards nation building. It provides a unique platform to showcase their expressions in writing, on a host of subjects related to nation building.
Snehal Pinto Guest of Honor and ISISC president “I would like to congratulate the winners. You are the future leaders of this county; I want to thank the Tatas for giving this opportunity to the students. This trophy is only a small beginning in your journey. No matter what challenges come your way, you will go ahead and succeed. ”.
Tata Building India School Essay Competition 2010-2011
The Tata Building India School Essay Competition is one of the key initiatives undertaken by the Tata group of companies to motivate the youth of India towards thinking about nation building. It provides a unique platform to showcase their expressions in writing, on a host of subjects related to nation building.
Started in 2006 with 6 cities and 1 lakh students in English language, the competition has grown manifold to become India's largest essay competition touching almost 2 million students across 8 languages in 2010-11.
The current year program is set to yet again touch 2 million students in 5000+ schools nationwide. The idea of the competition has been very well received by both the students and the teaching fraternity reflected by the overwhelming response from participating schools and students. It is the belief of the Tata group of companies that the young minds of the country, if directed positively, can bring greater recognition and glory to the nation.
For more information please log on to www.tatabuildingindia.com